Reliance Jio 4G officially launched in India, with free voice calls and low-cost data plans
While addressing the Annual General Meeting of Reliance Industries Limited today, the RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani made some crucial announcements related to the much awaited Reliance Jio mobile services. He said that Jio will put an end to voice call charges in India.
- Starting in select cities, Jio is rolling out a fiber to home wireline network. This initiative will push the power of data even further, and will offer data speeds up to 1 Gigabit per second.
- Starting coming Monday, the 5th of September 2016 Jio’s Data, Voice, Video and the full bouquet of Jio applications and content will be available foreveryone, absolutely FREE, till 31st December 2016.
- Jio will offer unlimited night LTE data.
- Special Students Discount Offer: Any student will be able to get 25% more data on Jio’s main tariffs.
- The Jio 4G tariffs start at Rs. 149 for 28 days, for 300MB. For Rs. 499 per month you get 4GB of 4G data, plus unlimited 4G at night, for 28 days and 8GB access from Reliance Jio’s Wi-Fi hotspots.
- Data packs in the market have an effective rate of about Rs 250/ GB. With Jio, you pay 5 to 10 times lower – Rs 25-50/ GB: Mukesh Ambani
- Roaming will be free across India.
- It is future ready and it can be easily upgraded to support even more data, as technologies advance to 5G, 6G and beyond.
- Jio will put an end to voice charges in India. No Jio customer will ever have to pay for voice calls again.
- All voice calls for Jio customers will be absolutely free.
- MyJio, a digital companion app for every stage of your Digital Life: Ambani
- Instant eKYC digital activations – in the store and at home.
- Any Jio customer carrying an Aadhaar card will be able to walk out of a Jio store with a working connection within 15 minutes.
- Jio Apps subscription worth Rs 15,000, complimentary until 31st December of 2017
- True 4G LTE smartphones starting from Rs 2,999 and Jio-Fi for Rs 1,999 that enables all Indians to migrate to Jio’s Data Strong network.
- India’s only all-IP, data-strong, made-for-mobile-video, Only 4G LTE, future-ready network.
Under the offer, the owner of a 4G-compliant handset from any of these brands can carry it to Reliance Digital stores, including Digital Xpress and Digital Xpress Mini, and other retail stores for a free Reliance Jio SIM.
At the store, the customer is required to share the code generated on his phone with the help of a Jio mobile app. He can then get the Jio SIM, subject to submission of KYC documents.
Under the preview offer, customers can enjoy unlimited access to Jio services for 90 days from activation of Jio SIM. The 4G service includes unlimited voice calls and video calls, SMS, 4G mobile broadband and applications like JioOnDemand (for movies), JioLive (for live TV shows) and JioXpressNews, among others.
Because of Reliance Jio, telecom operators like Airtel, Vodafone and Idea have also slashed tariffs and bundled free calls with data to woo customers and drive mass market adoption.